AYON monthly beginner's topic - November '23

Welcome to our Monthly beginner's thread. This forum topic is used to capture all beginner questions (and answers) in one place. We start a new one every month on 1st of the month and lock the previous one.

We if you feel your question deserves it’s own topic in one of the existing categories, then by all means go for it and create on. We’ll also try our best to split out any interesting questions to their own topics when they warrant a bigger conversations.

So go ahead and ask to your heart’s content.

The following section is edited by @mustafa_jafar.

Questions Summary:

Where to get started

Here’s a community post that offers some guidance:

Is there way to load specific packages in Houdini depends on project? For example loading Redshift only for one project and in others it should be turned off ?

Yes, the best way is to use our system of tools environments. You can define any tools you’d like, assign them to respective applications, or even to individual shots actually.
There are good guides for it here:

Why does it need a Commercial license to export USD? Everything works in vanilla Houdini Indie

This PR should solve the problem.
we will disallow any USD publish with Houdini apprentice license only .

How to add new product-type , or add custom exporters to an existent product-type ?

you can add many creators as many as to support different product types as you want.
This guide can help learning about how to do that
and if you are happy with your product type support, you can always add your contribution on GH, which is greatly appreciated.

Questions related to unimplemented features:

Ayon is evolving and due to our Agile methodology, some features may not be there yet.
I will move these questions here in this section for reference.

• Is there a project manager browser where I could see all saved files from all DCC for specific task ?
  • How to mute console log in DCCs ?
  • Is there way to limit softwares to specific task ?
  • Is there any browser to look what representations have other older product versions?
2 Likes

Hello,
I recently started using Ayon and have some begginer questions ^^
I will number them to make easier to answer.

1. I’m switching from using Prims, and there was a project browser where i could see all saved files from all DCC for specific task. For example: if i had task “layout” and in this task was used Houdini and Blender, it was nice to see in project manager browser these two DCC was used. In Ayon i can see workfiles only in DCC workfile browser filtered to this DCC. Will there be such a browser added in the future or is this concept pointless due to the workflow in Ayon?

2. Is there way to load specific packages in Houdini depends on project? For example loading Redshift only for one project and in others it should be turned off.

3. How to mute console log in Houdini while using Ayon? Its just showing popouts on every time you use any Ayon function(It’s nice that Ayon says goodbye when I close the window, but after sometime its annoying ;D)

4. Is there way to limit softwares to specifi task? for e.g in modeling we will have only Blender, for lookdev/lighting - Houdini/Maya etc.

5. Is there any browser to look what reprentations have other older product versions?

6. I got some errors when opening softwares via Ayon.

• In Blender:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "C:\Users\Wizor\AppData\Local\Ynput\AYON\addons\openpype_3.17.0\openpype\hosts\blender\api\ops.py", line 334, in execute
          self._window.set_context({
      AttributeError: 'WorkfilesToolWindow' object has no attribute 'set_context'

• In Houdini:

Installing OpenPype ...
      *** WRN: >>> { ModulesLoader }: [  Could not find path when loading OpenPype modules "C:\Users\Wizor\AppData\Local\Ynput\AYON\addons\openpype_3.17.0\openpype\addons"  ] 
      Setting scene FPS to 25
      and
      *** Discovered 1 abstract plugins - AutoCreator ]

1 Like
  1. I am getting this error while publishing USD:
    USD Publishing requires a full Commercial license. You are on: licenseCategoryType.Indie

Why does it need a Commercial license to export USD? Everything works in vanilla Houdini Indie

I know this isn’t a feature request thread but I really like points 1, 4 and 5

1 Like

Point 1 has been also one of the most requested features (/complaints) in our studio with how the OP Launcher works. They are used to be able to see all the workfiles directly on the tasks (and thus make a distinction of the DCCs that have workfiles started or not for that task) from our Launcher tool and launch the specific workfile version directly. They don’t really like the fact that it’s limited to just opening the last workfile as there might be multiple artists working on the same task

Not yet, but it’s quite commonly requested feature (as you can see here :slight_smile: ) so I can see it making it’s way in fairly quickly.

Yes, the best way is to use or system of tools environments. You can define any tools you’d like, assign them to respective applications, or even to individual shots actually. There is a good guide for it here Ayon/Openpype Env Vars and Tools Configuration Explained and here Configuring Tool Groups in OpenPype

Not yet, but coming hopefully soon to AYON near you :wink:

There isn’t, but a great suggestion!

I’ll try to get someone else to answer the other points.

2 Likes

Hello all, I’ll be editing the main post above to include the questions and their answers for easier retrieval.

I’ve added the answer in the main post above.

Actually @mustafa_jafar I think it’s totally fine to remove that Houdini Indie restriction.

See here - apparently Houdini Indie can - since three years ago! - export USD files without restrictions.

As such, the Validator should be removed.
Originally I wrote that validator during Houdini beta releases which did not allow it at the time.

However, there might still be versions exporting .usdnc since there are still recent forum posts regarding the file format, e.g. here.

According to this documentation it’s only Houdini Apprentice that currently still exports usdnc files and thus we should only validate for Apprentice licenses and allow Houdini Indie licenses?

The validation should thus become hou.isApprentice().

1 Like

I made a PR, thanks for your help @BigRoy @Wizor

Is there also a genereal roadmap/timeline for Ayon and Ynput?
Would be nice to know where some of the plugins are, are they converted etc.
But also small aditionas like the “add folders” button that was in openPype but not Ayon yet.

Are you talking about the disk folders that we could create, using the “Project folder structure” ?
It is discussed here :

There is also the subject of creating a starting hierarchy of folders (the Ayon’s “folder” as a Folder[type], which is not a disk folder) :

1 Like

Is there a way to change the productType in the exporter, or add custom exporters to houdini for example.
I want that houdini and blender export to the same productType, (preffered model instead of static mesh)
But houdini only has “staticMesh” in the create content and blender only “model”

Hello,
you can add many creators as many as to support different product types as you want.
This guide can help learning about how to do that
and if you are happy with your product type support, you can always add your contribution on GH, which is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Great, thanks, ill dive into this.
And come backj with feedback if needed.

1 Like

Is there a way to add template keys in the “extra work folders”

Instead of having to go a folder up with “…/…/newFolder” i want to use “{root[work]}/{project[name]}/newFolder”
This is way more full proof.
But if i add that it just gives me back a folder thats called {root[work]}

Or is there no way to add template keys.

where is “extra work folders”, I cant find it.

As far as I know, Template keys are hardcoded at this stage. but, you can add new roots and you can create new templates.

Here are the extra work folders
in Core/Tools/Workfiles/Extra Work Folders

I’ll try the other settings.

As far as I know, extra work folders are meant to be relative to the work dir.
Currently, it doesn’t support formatting keys.

Here are my 2 cents :coin:. please, take it with a grain of salt:
I faced similar situation when I needed to add template keys support to houdini shelves settings where I solved it by implementing the following function, I think you can steal some code from it.

and by searching OpenPype repo for setting "extra_folders", I can tell the following function is responsible for creating extra folders which shows on line 534 it only joins the wordir and the subfolder without getting resolving any template keys.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes