Default project hierarchy (made of folder type : folder)

Hello,

When we create a new project, the project hierarchy is empty, here :
Web App–>Projects–>[select a project]–>Editor

It would be useful to automatically create some starting hierarchy of folders (Folder[type] = Folder).
For some companies it would simply be “assets” and “shots” (see screenshot), others will need more depth.

Then, people will only need to create the other entities (assets/shots/tasks) on the default hierarchy, with less risk of mistakes.

There is already the perfect entry, which comes from OpenPype, but is not currently used :
Studio Settings–>Core–>Project Folder Structure

When could we expect in Ayon the support of this OpenPype feature ?

Thanks !

DefaultHierarchyCustomisation

2 Likes

Hello,
I checked on this and we’ll be re-designing that feature for AYON to be a lot more robust, so probably won’t make it to 1.0, but it’s high up on the list.

Thanks a lot !

In the meantime, is there a way for us to use ayon_api to create that hierarchy ?
I’m not sure where to search.

I think this could be a start.

https://ayon.ynput.io/api

1 Like

Hi !

Are there any news about Ayon’s support of this OpenPype feature ?

Nah, not yet. But it’s on the radar :wink:

1 Like

You are referring to this as an OpenPype feature - but also in OpenPype this didn’t actually create the asset structure in the database, right? It would only create the folders on disk. So, in that sense it also would not e.g. be a default template in the Project Editor (AYON frontend) if it were to match that feature 1:1.

I have a feeling you’re looking to be able to:

1. just create a template of folders in the Project Editor (or have a project start with one)

which is a separate request to:

1. generate the folder structure on disk (which is the functionality in OpenPype?)

Given the following message from Jakub, I assumed both features were available in OpenPype.

As I think both features are very useful, and I wanted to avoid any confusion, I asked for them on separate forum threads :

1 Like

Thanks - that clarifies it!

I had no idea that also originally created folders for them in the project manager - or maybe @iLLiCiT may have mistaken there.