AYON Development Workbench

Backstory

Hello everyone,

Once upon a time, when all addons lived within ayon-core , life was straightforward. A handful of commands were all it took to update the code or upload an addon.

However, times changed when our add-ons went their separate ways :broken_heart: and settled into their own repositories. Suddenly, things got a bit more complicated. e.g. I can be working on ayon-houdini without having the latest ayon-core, or maybe I was testing a new library and want to updated my dependency package or maybe I want to run documentation to test a PR and etc…

Well, I mostly forget these commands. and mostly waste two valuable minutes to refresh my memory. That’s draw the inspiration for creating my AYON Development Workbench

Quick-Start Development

“Deployed in Minutes” isn’t just our motto for using AYON—it now applies to development too :wink:.

The AYON Development Workbench puts a ready-to-go dev workspace at your fingertips, complete with a suite of VSCode tasks. These tasks serve as high-level commands to streamline your daily development workflow.

Think of VSCode tasks as shortcuts—they can be anything from simple command line operations to executing a batch or Python file.

The beauty is, they can be replicated in virtually any IDE.

Lastly, a big shout-out to @Danell —his post VSCode tasks. Run services and upload addons was the cornerstone of inspiration for this workflow. Thank you!

3 Likes

I’ve updated my workbench and added commands to install and run kitsu, ftrack and shotgrid services from source code :slight_smile: .