Nuke, Render farm, Deadline and custom tools

Hi,

I am currently exploring Ayon in order to deploy it in our studio.

I previously rewrote the Nuke Deadline plugin in order to clean it and add debug facilities. I also created some utility Python functions to submit Nuke jobs on the farm:

from wtl_deadline.jobs import submit_nuke_job

submit_nuke_job(
    name="Test Nuke Job",
    nuke_file=r"<path>/scene.nk",
    write_node="Write1",
    output_path=r"<path>/out.####.exr",
    frames=(1133, 1144),
    chunk_size=2,
    pool="3d",
)

Now what is the state of the Deadline integration in Ayon? Does it handle rendering or only publishes? Let’s suppose I want to submit a nuke render of a Write node inside Nuke. Do I:

• Create a custom Nuke node, get the Ayon context get the render output folder for the current task and call my custom submit Python function? (And also register the product when the render is finished?)
  • Use the Ayon Deadline plugin integration and specify the proper Deadline plugin name and options for my custom plugin?

I am a little bit lost on the possible solutions here, any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks a lot

Deadline integration handles both, render and publish.

For each publish it produces at least one render job (could be multiple, Nuke has multiple render jobs) and one (always) publish job.

Render jobs are waiting for presence of workfile and publish job is waiting for render job(s) to be finished.

Submission to DL from DCC produces metadata json file which is used for publishing job step, this file contains informations about published instances, expected files etc.

Here is more information about rendering/publishing in Nuke Nuke Artist Docs | AYON Docs

Here is more info about setting up DL and AYON plugin AYON / Openpype Deadline Setup

Hope this helps a bit.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, I am going to setup the Deadline integration and come back when it’s done if I have questions!