Deploying AYON on True NAS Scale (Requirements for self deploy)

Hello, I want to deploy ayon server for small team, where we are using True NAS Scale to manage files. Scale version is using debian under the hood, but docker compose will be officialy supported in few months propably. It seems like best workaround for now would be to install VM on it? But if so, how much RAM, Cores and disk should I reserve for VM? (Around 6-10 people and few of them remotely) I’ve seen some post about requirements from january, but without update (Recommended self-hosted server specifications.).
Also Im wondering if its even needed? Can I use my machine with linux and install everything from it and use NAS only as common storage/database? Im pretty new in this topic and Im wondering how its gonna work later, is my machine must be running all the time to communicate with everyone? Or only those files installed on NAS are enough, is there some deeper explanation, than this docs? Server deployment | AYON Docs

I run exactly setup like that. I have ubuntu vm 500gb for kitsu ayon and some other apps it has 12gb ram and you can use all cores since it will drain as much as it needs. Try portainer for install to manage containers easily

I prefer to run server like apps on scale not to depend of user mashines. Deadline you should install to nas too. And of course configing routing, static ips and domens so much easier on one mashine (nas) using something like nginx

1 Like

I’m not too familiar with NAS systems, but I’ve been considering adding a compact one to my home network. This would allow me to switch between various devices without worrying about duplicating the setup.

I found a guide on setting up Docker Compose on a Synology NAS, which you can find here: Synology NAS Docker Media Server Guide.

Additionally, it seems feasible to run an AYON server on any device within your local network, utilizing the NAS primarily for shared storage.

It’s also interesting to note that if your NAS supports FTP services, integrating it with SiteSync could streamline the process of collaborating with remote artists. They’d be able to work from their own computers while seamlessly downloading and uploading files to your server. For more details on this setup, check out the SiteSync Administration Guide.

Regarding the requirements:
we usually recommend using VM with 4 cores, 16 GB and 100 GB.
But, the server can run on something less powerful as mentioned in the guide above Recommended self-hosted server specifications..

1 Like