AYON in remote workflow

This question is ported from discord, it was asked by @Redwolf223.

Hi, has anyone used AYON in a remote workflow? If so, do you integrate it with a NAS or rely on a cloud sync service for managing files?

Answer by @BigRoy

Host dccs will need to access any need project files.

Site Sync Addon basically localizes the files on request when needed and makes them locally available on the local ‘site’ (which could be a network share of course but also e.g. an individual freelancer’s machine.) So this is a ‘remote workflow’ as in where not everybody has to be in the same location or needs direct access to the same network.

You could also have a ‘remote workflow’ where your machines themselves are in the cloud of course, but I have a feeling as soon as you get to that stage you’d likely have a cloud hosted network share anyway so you can basically run a single ‘site’.

You could also have a ‘remote workflow’ where your machines themselves are in the cloud of course, but I have a feeling as soon as you get to that stage you’d likely have a cloud hosted network share anyway so you can basically run a single ‘site’.

1 Like

I have! I’m doing all conform and publishing in a studio and then remote artists can download it and work and after pulishings will be sent to server throught SFTP works good but lacks some features whitch is not nessesary but would be nice:

1. download status bar (or at least persentage grow when file downloads) because artists need to always press refresh button to see if file is ready to work

2. changing filepaths to studios when it uploads throught sftp because if i open a freelancers project after in a studio i need to reload all plates and other stuff to make project work because all that files linked to local pathes

3. workfile sync (or maybe just copying lash published workfile fo work folder) because ayon freezes and stalls if i have for example 3rd versiopn of db and no workfile v3 in work folder and i need to copy published file manualy and rename it to open from ayon

4. fix deadline published path because if remote user publishes to farm tasks in dedaline will have local path and will never be realised so no render but have an ability for remouters to render on farm would be such a good thing!

1 Like

Hello @timsergeeff

We are also looking at site sync.

For point number 3, the sitesync docs talks about Copy Last Published Workfile. Here

Does this feature not working for you guys?

Regards,
Tu

Yeah, there’s a launch hook pre_copy_last_published_workfile.py for that.

hmmmmmm my launcher just freezees and i need to stop hardstop it using app manager

only manual copying of a last workfile saving the situation

@timsergeeff Do you have the ayon_console open when it happen? Is there anything in the log when the launcher freezes?

Ive swtsted it with console and just instant freeze and nothing

Hey, thanks for your feedback.
Feel free to open a new issue on GH.