SiteSync Working File

Hello Ynput Community,

Our studio is in in the process of trying out sitesync. I think this is the architecture that we want to try out:

I’m a bit confuse about this note in the sitesync documentation

(source Site Sync Admin Docs | AYON Docs)

We have offsite artists, such as Carol and Dan, as mentioned earlier. If the site sync is not synchronizing their work files, what would be the best way to ensure their working versions are transferred to our studio for archiving and backup? Relying solely on their local storage seems risky if they were to lose any of their files.

Furthermore, can somebody clarify what does it means by SFTP connection is finicky?

Regards,
Tu

Hello,
Thank you for exploring sitesync.

As far as I know, sitesync addon works with published products.

By publishing the workfile.
One benefit from publishing workfiles is to archive it.
Also, thank you, your question rings a bell. it’d be great to expand on the pipeline concepts docs Publishing | AYON Docs.

I’ve create this issue Expand on the pipeline concepts, it’d be great to have your input.

As far as I understand, it just recommends using FileZilla or WinSCP for testing.
But, I’d better leave it to @Petr_Kalis, he can explain it better.

I think it’s good to mention that in most host integrations (if not all) by default doing a publish will also show a “workfile” instance. As such, a publish by default will also publish a workfile product.

These workfile products will sync with sitesync - and hence, the site sync workflow would be to just publish as soon as you want to share again.

Note that published workfiles are also available in the Workfiles UI.

I believe there’s also some logic somewhere that the “open last workfile on launch” may actually do this ‘use last published workfile if no local workfile exists’ which may be useful with site sync. However I’m not sure where that lives or whether I may have seen some custom code over time that never made it into main AYON code.

1 Like

Thank you @BigRoy and @mustafa_jafar. I’m starting to understand this workflow better now.

How should a studio approach the situation when the products of the publishing process from the remote artist are the working file of other artist?

For example, a layout artist in Maya exports the working file for other artist?

As far as I know, when a remote artist publishes, the published products (including the published workfile product) should be queued for syncing/uploading to the remote site.

Once uploaded, the products should be available for downloading for other artists to download.

maybe @Petr_Kalis can provide further insights.