Semantic version addon policies

Doing a quick post to move the discussions we have had on Discord re: semantic versioning policies for addons and how that affects the release cycles.

I was recently surprised that the latest ayon-core release was just a patch version with that amount of changelog Release 0.4.1 · ynput/ayon-core · GitHub, with significant changes such as Publisher: Separate backend into models by iLLiCiTiT · Pull Request #689 · ynput/ayon-core · GitHub and Scene Inventory: Action to update to latest approved version by iLLiCiTiT · Pull Request #690 · ynput/ayon-core · GitHub

As a contributor to the codebase and having forks of most of the addons, the semantic versioning is quite helpful to have a rough idea of the amount of changes to expect when merging a new release. The policies described here https://semver.org/ are roughly what I’m used to so when I see 0.4.1 I expect I’m very rarely going to get any merge conflicts. Do you guys have a different policy?

On the other hand, if the versioning policy is pretty clear, we could start to implement different release cycles based on that information… e.g. if a new bundle only contains patch release version updates the settings get automatically copied over or the bundle gets updated without a need to restart the Launcher…

Anyhow, it’s not a big deal right now as there’s no consequence to the different versioning other than having a standard vocabulary between devs but food for thought