Launching applications through command line

Reviving this discussion from a feature that was removed in OpenPype and we kept using in our fork General: Removed unused cli commands by iLLiCiTiT · Pull Request #4902 · ynput/OpenPype · GitHub

This time though we would need it as it was re-requested that artists want to launch the AYON applications through Flow directly and it would currently not be possible without a launch command

Is there any plans on adding that back?

Thank you!

Hello,
As far as I know there are two solutions:

1. Use @BigRoy’s ayon-launch-scripts
  2. Wait for the web launcher actions feature, that allows artists to open Apps directly from AYON Server… I believe it’d be possible to leverage the same api to add that functionality to Flow(SG).

Thank you Mustafa for the quick response.

Perhaps we can leverage some of the code from @BigRoy 's but that’s currently designed only to run headless and not to launch the applications graphically unfortunately.

As for the second solution, is there any rough ETA on the plans to do that?

You are much welcome.
That’s mostly for @milan, @dee.ynput, @martin.wacker or maybe @iLLiCiT.

Maybe this PR could also help you ?
It can be used to launch a DCC.
But it also doesn’t have an artist-friendly GUI.

ayon-applications CLI for launch

@fabiaserra I’m wondering… but that CLI method is available in ayon-applications. I can see it e.g. here.

What’s failing for you?

debug shell from launcher in environment of applications

In this case - what do you mean with it doesn’t have an artist-friendly GUI? The whole point of that approach is to run a command-line. I’m a bit lost what it is you might be looking for instead? If it’s just launching the applications, that’s what the launcher does. No? (Seems your use case is different than @fabiaserra 's request?)

Web actions

Also web actions should be pretty much there - with the exclusion of this PR WebActions: Defines WebActions by iLLiCiTiT · Pull Request #1 · ynput/ayon-applications · GitHub (and maybe a released launcher build, but you can build that yourself just fine I think)

2 Likes

Hi Roy,

I thought @fabiaserra wanted some graphical interface (buttons) to trigger the launch.

But now that I read his message again, I realize that when he said “launch the applications graphically”, he meant “launching the applications so that their GUI appears”, and not “launch them by triggering some GUI”.

So my advice of using the Debug Shell Launcher is better than I thought :wink:

@fabiaserra I’m wondering… but that CLI method is available in ayon-applications. I can see it e.g. here .

That’s exactly what I was looking for, I had no idea it had already been started, I’m going to play with it, thank you!! It gets harder to keep up to date with all the updates of the different addons these days

:coffee: Coffee.

And yes, a rocket launch appears to be happening these days! :rocket: :tada:

1 Like

An example of the syntax to use :

./ayon addon applications launch --app maya/2024 --project YourProject --folder /Some/folder/path --task Modeling

Found here :

1 Like

yeah I’m aware thank you, it’s almost the exact same syntax that existed in OpenPype and we were using there