Dev addon invalid version

Hello everyone, this would be my first post on this forum (many to follow I hope :))

So to get to the point, I installed Ayon, got the latest images, the services are running well.
After reading documentation and forum posts, I was fiddling around with the shotgrid addon to catch and fix some errors.

My little problem is, after uploading a shotgrid-dev.zip to the server, and wanting to create a new bundle, I got a popup error saying TypeError: Invalid Version: dev (same with : 0.3.3.dev).
I checked on the server and it has the same structure as mentioned in this doc
Is there a setting or something I might have missed ?
This is a minor issue of course as I can always put a real number and use it in my bundle, but this would compromise deployment hygiene when we will adopt the solution :wink:

So far, I’m impressed with the system, looking forward to contributing !

Ok got it :grimacing:, I was supposed to add a dash shotgrid-0.3.3-dev.
Still, how can we use dev without a specific version set ?

You will always have to specify a version as far as I know. The addons should adhere to Semantic Versioning.

You can however e.g. do versioning like:

0.3.3-dev.1
0.3.3-dev.2

We actually have something similar but always use our studio label there:

0.3.3-colorbleed.1
0.3.3-colorbleed.2

It’s good to be aware that anything after the - dash has no special meaning and is just purely alphabetically sorted, and IF such a suffix exists that it is considered a lower version than the version without the dash.

0.3.3             (this is considered newer)
0.3.3-dev.1

Usually that’s because those suffixes also get used for things like alpha, beta or nightlies, e.g.

0.3.3             (this is considered newer)
0.3.3-nightly.1

Anyway, so be aware that the versioning after the - is alphabetically sorted, with alpha to beta you are in luck :wink: but it’s not because those are special keywords.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Roy !
Do I have greenlight opening a PR to update the doc ?
It says to have dev folder currently.