Ayon USD publish in Houdini Queries

Hi!

I started this post, as there were a few more queries after looking at the doc in terms of workflow

USD Shot - this is very clearly written and works great, we are using for fx layer publish as an example with USD published in versions and having proper track on versions
USD Asset - This is still unclear for us in terms of version controls for payloads - like if we publish any asset, it refers to the work directory and every publish is going to overwrite the USD file, there is no going back, can someone throw some light on this please

Essentially the problem is we need to version control through the USD asset publishes.(Can the default layer save paths be copied and published as versions through ayon?

This is probably a silly question, I’m still trying to get a grip on the USD workflow. Tagging some of the best people I know for visibility @mustafa_jafar @BigRoy

As far as I know,

• payload is a relative file. but we always create one for each published usd asset
  • in payload: versions are hardcoded. e.g.
    the payload of my usdAsset v001 is pointing to my usdModel v001 and
    the payload of my usdAsset v002 is pointing to my usdModel v002

Keep in mind the generated USD files via pyblish usd plugins e.g. usdAsset are saved as ascii. so you can easily open them read and modify them.

Thanks for the info @mustafa_jafar

We need to set layer save paths manually(versioning) or by going with the default Ayon save path is overwritten every time.

Does Ayon can publish the layer save paths(in a beautiful versions) and dynamically reconnect especially for payloads?

I’ve never seen this happen actually. Please provide a workfile, that on publish generates that and preferably also share a publish report from a publish on your end that generated it with the resulting USD published files.

It should not link anything to work files unless you’re explicitly linking something yourself to work files OR are using some custom HDAs somewhere with custom logic?

It sounds like you’re manually ‘referencing’ in existing files from disk - yes, the publish does not doing anything with manually loaded files because those already exist and it assumes that whatever you load is not something new you’re generating.

If you want to publish things a long, generate it from your current workfile. Don’t pre-render things, load it in, and publish then.